K.H Noer Ali

The revolution era had been the time where many brave figures emerged. One of them was K. H. Noer Ali. He was born in Oejoeng Malang or now called Ujung Harapan, Bekasi, in 1914. His father was Anwar bin Layu and his mother was Maemunah binti Tarbin.

KH Noer Ali did an enormous struggle to help Indonesia get its independence, especially in Bekasi. His contribution was very significant to particularly Bekasi people. No wonder, he was given the title of National Hero on 10 November 2006.

He was a cleric and fighter who studied in Mecca and returned to Indonesia in 1940. When he arrived at his hometown, he tried to establish a pesantren. It was developed based on his belief that progress of a nation could only be obtained through education. Finally in 1956, he succeeded in establishing the Educational Development, Maintenance and Relief Foundation (YP3). On 17 December 1986, the Foundation was renamed Attaqwa Foundation or Attaqwa Islamic Boarding School.

When Indonesia became independent, he was elected as Chair of the Babelan Branch of the Regional Indonesian National Committee (KNID). When a Mass Meeting was held at Ikada Square Jakarta on September 19, 1945, he mobilized the mass to attend it. He was the one who led the battle and other guerrillas against the Dutch in Pondok Ungu on 29 September 1945 to maintain the independence.

The public knew him as Singa Karawang-Bekasi (the Lion of Karawang-Bekasi) because of his courage to fight against the invaders. He served as chairman of the Bekasi People’s Army to defend independence, and also became Commander of Bekasi Hezbollah Battalion III. If it was not because of his capability, there would be no way he could carry out the positions. Together with General Oerip Soemohardjo, he also established Hizbullah-Sabilillah Headquarters.

KH Noer Ali was also known to be very agile and difficult to catch. So, he was nicknamed by the Dutch as White Eel. A story says that one day, KH Ali Noer managed to deceive and silently run from Dutch armed accomplices although the latter had been closely watching him in a mosque.